Friday, January 26, 2007

News. Quiz.

Writing is a strangely lonely and reclusive occupation. The more I focus on this new book the more time I spend by myself and the less I pay attention to the outside world. Which made me a particularly underprepared panellist for this weeks edition of Radio 4's News Quiz. It was recorded last night and is broadcast later today (and again on Saturday afternoon.)

Apparently I agreed to take part in the show some time before Christmas but I had completely forgotten about it until I was reminded of it on Tuesday. I wouldn't normally forget about something like this... but the writing-process tends to erase those parts of your memory that you're not using.

I'm not complaining for a moment - the show is hosted by Sandi Toksvig and I was on Alan Coren's team and as anyone who knows me will tell you, I regard the Coren/Toksvig axis as something of a broadcasting dream team. It really is a pleasure to work with either of them and the pleasure is more than doubled by working with the two of them at the same time. (Note to self, must send that Call My Bluff letter to Points of View.)

Anyway, I enjoyed the show despite not knowing as much as I would like to and was glad of a chance to get out for a night and have a glass of wine... I'd almost forgotten what it was like to go out. I've now bounced back into my reclusive writing mode which involves staring at a blank screen, drinking too much coffee, giving in to Big Brother and then regretting it. (Do vote to evict Jo and Cleo, though.)

No comments: