Friday, March 28, 2008

Let the readings begin...

I feel like I've been working hard of late. I'm not complaining mind; it's been fun, it's just that it's also been incessant. (I didn't take Christmas Day or New Year Eve off for example...)

With the release of the book imminent I thought it would be sensible to grab a couple of days of downtime before the inevitable whirl of work kicks in and so I scheduled a short break to Berlin. The idea was to recharge my batteries before starting the book-readings.

I enjoyed Berlin a great deal but because I was on holiday my immune system seems to have decided it could take a break also and I've suddenly been consumed by a horrible cold. Oh well. I'll dose myself up with goodness and do the readings with as few coughs and splutters as I can.

My trip was arranged with precision to give me the maximum break out of the short time available. I was flying from London City airport precisely because it's about 20 minutes from my front door. I love City Airport. I keep meeting people in London who don't even know it exists. I thought I'd been really canny and that I would be back at home by 10am today. I was wrong.

The conditions weren't great this morning and as we came in to land the pilot decided he didn't fancy it and aborted the attempt pulling out of the descent at what seemed to be quite a late stage. It was all very dramatic. In an oh-my-God-I'm-going-to-die way. He must have thought it too dangerous to try again because he pretty quickly announced that we were going to Heathrow instead... which somehow ended up adding another three hours of travelling to my day. Harumph. Come on pilots... we'd rather risk life and limb than be delayed and have to cross London.

Anyway. I'm back. In one slightly chesty piece. And I'm looking forward to my trip to Cambridge tomorrow for the first reading.

If you can't make it to any of the readings but would like to buy a signed copy of the book then they're available through Play.com, but only if you pre-order. The link to the signed copies is here.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

For a rest you decide to get on another plane!? You need to spend a few days sitting at home in your PJ's watching This Morning like the rest of us.

Anonymous said...

Dave,

HORRAH! My play.com pre-ordered copy of the book arrived THIS MORNING! If I wasn't on my way to work, I'd be reading it right now.

However,
BOO! Its not signed. I know that all the books from there couldn't possibly have been signed, but I guess I must have missed out and been a tad too late pre-ordering.

As for your flight - As I read on I assumed you were going to mention something about being caught up in the T5 chaos! Glad you had a nice time anyway, and hope that cold gets better - plenty of fluids!

Dave Gorman said...

@Simon,

Play.com are selling regular copies of the book and signed copies. If you follow the link above you'll see it takes you to a specific page for signed copies. If the page didn't say you were buying a signed copy then you weren't...

rileysaplank said...

Had hoped to get to either the Edinburgh or Glasgow signings but work has now made that impossible, so have just followed the link and ordered a signed copy from Play.

Anonymous said...

@Dave,

Yeah I realised my error seconds after making that post when I followed the link! Has the signed version only just appeared as an item on play.com? Im sure it wasn't there when I searched for Amercia Unchained on the site a few weeks ago! (although, knowing me, it probably was)

I've put an order in for a signed one now, the other one can be a present for a friend or something :-)

Dave Gorman said...

I didn't know about the offer from Play until I got back from Berlin... so I don't know how long it's been available there.

If you search for the book it doesn't necessarily show you the signed one... you have to search for the word 'signed' also to bring it up... or of course, you can follow the links.

Anonymous said...

Hope you're readings go well. Make sure you dose up on the tixylix and buttercup syrup beforehand. But careful on the drowsy ones!

Dooferlad said...

Dear Dave,

Thanks for braving Cambridge with your cold, we really enjoyed the reading! Liz
was particularly excited by the fact that she got to ask you a question.

And thanks for signing our books. Both batches....

Get well soon!
Liz & James/James & Liz

Rinse said...

Hi Dave, I enjoyed the reading in Basingstoke yesterday, despite that rather aggresive penultimate question. Can't wait to dive in to the book on the train this evening.
In fact I also enjoyed seeing the rider trickle out; two types of bottled water, Dave, two? Hollywood's changed you, man, I blame that Stewart character! ;)

Sara Thomas said...

I hope you enjoyed Berlin - I loved it. My photos are in my hall. I realise that's not quite as good a way of sharing as Flickr, but if you're passing...

Did you by any chance have an asparagus and cream cheese sandwich whilst there?

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave

Just searched your friends on facebook and discovered, out of the 2466 you have, none of them are called Dave Gorman

Ben

beth said...

Looking forward to the Leeds thing on Thursday. If you're around beforehand and are looking for some good independent nosh I recommend Fuji Hiro on Merrion Way for good simple and independent Japanese food It's a no frills type place with a very tasty menu. Or if you're hankering for a cup of tea and an egg butty there's The Four Cousins on the last alley off briggate towards the corn exchange.

Unknown said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG8HfLsZqs0

That could have been you :-)

Haven't got the book/DVD yet. But will be doing shortly. Probably make it to the Leeds eent on Thursday.

Anonymous said...

Dave,

I enjoyed you book reading in Basingstoke this week. I am considering a road trip of my own; a kind of voyage of discovery with my son Xander who is 12.

92 League football clubs in 2 weeks. travelling from north to south, getting a photo in front of each stadium.

Anyway... you described your philosophy on life and I thought it was very astute. "The journey's the thing"...

James said...

Hi Dave

I was at your reading last night (Leeds) but was unable to stay behind after for the signing due to a prior engagement. Rest assured that I have ordered a copy of the book from play.com (let us hope that I have followed all the instructions correctly and ordered my desired item, unlike the unfortunate gentlemen earlier in this thread!). It is very rare that I post on web sites, In fact I far from profess to be a “blogger” but I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for an entertaining and insightful evening and pass on my respect and admiration. I particularly enjoyed your run down of the Mormon faith. A Mormon family live on my street and once reported me to our local council for drinking a bottle of beer on the bench out front of my house! What they hoped to achieve is still beyond me but as they say fact is usually stranger than fiction, something that you have proved on many occasions.
I have found all of your projects so diverse and fascinating and your originality never fails to amaze and impress me and I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you and say keep up the good work. I look forward to the next original and fascinating project, which will hopefully be accompanied by another book tour so I can plan my diary better and thank you in person!

James

Jonathan said...

I have a spare ticket for the reading in Oxford Circus on Saturday @ 4pm. Would hate to see it wasted, so if anyone wants it let me know.

Anonymous said...

I've never been refered to as a "unfortunate gentleman" before, thanks James :-)