Monday, October 12, 2009

Absolutely Lovely

This is Martin, Danielle and myself celebrating after our first show together on Absolute Radio. We weren't just celebrating our first show... we all had something individual that's worth celebrating and it says something about the confessional nature of radio that words slipped out on air that I would be nervous of typing here. The work/life separation feels more blurred on the wireless for some reason.

I reckon it was nice and relaxed for a first show and while I'm sure things will get smoother here and there I liked its rough-around-the-edges feel. Martin's song at the end - summarising the e-mails and texts that had come in over the two hours was really something to behold. Amazing really.

The listeners do as much to define a station as anything else so seeing so many texts and e-mails come in really did make us feel very welcome. Thanks all.

It wasn't just messages either... there were a few jingles made by listeners too. Thanks to Jerry Mandarin (nice jingle, surely not a real name... gerrymandering... hmmm), David Wilks (very bizarre, that one) and Tom White (made us laugh each and every time we played it) for those. We have some more that we haven't heard yet and we'd love it if you kept them coming in. It set a really nice tone for the show.

If you're not a Sunday morning kind of person, the podcast is up already.

14 comments:

Dee's Diary said...

Congratulations Dave, both on a cracking first show, and on the thing you're nervous of writing here. x

Unknown said...

I tuned in over the webcast for the show and have to say I loved it! Since I live in Sweden I doubt I will ever get to see you perform live but the webcast and webcam was a joy anyway! Keep it up! I will surely tune in next week as well.

Rachael said...

Hi Dave - just listened to the podcast (was somewhat hungover on sunday so missed it then.....) Fab first show - I loved the comedy jingle, and in fact got shouted at at work for laughing :)

Also, weird tho it may be as I've never met you, I'm so pleased for you and your news. Muchos congratulations. I know a lot of people who are having a really pants time of life at the moment and it really brightened my day to hear someone with such good news - so yey for you both :)

emmaspreadbury said...

Oh my goodness, how lovely! I'm really happy for you.

Yay! An unquestionably happy chapter to add to the Gorman book of adventures. About bloomin' time!

All the best wishes in the world, with no appologies for gushing.

emx

Tom White said...

Great show (or podcast, anyway), and thanks for the jingle-love. And thanks Rachael.

Liz Twitchell said...

So pleased to hear your news. Congratulations! Liz Twitchell

Lizzie said...

Massive congrats to you both!

Vicky said...

OK not had chance to listen yet - teacher @ term time! Is it 2 person news, or 3? I can think of 2 possiblilites.....

emmaspreadbury said...

@vicky: I'm with you on the term time issue, but if you listen to the start of the podcast, it should become clear.

Nice two hour slot on Sunday put aside for planning now though!

Unknown said...

Congratulations Dave. I am extremely happy for you

Ben Grubb said...

Congratulations on your news, Dave! Enjoying the Podcast very much.

Scottish Nature Boy said...

Great first show Dave and new friends - share the love! Now to crank up the jingle generator...

Vicky said...

Ah ha! Congratulations! Best thing we ever did!

Anonymous said...

had to put some faces to the names. Danielle's gorgeous. good show all round