Friday, October 17, 2008

Some things I recommend...

Read Frank Skinner on the Road. It's a journal describing Frank's return to live stand-up after a ten year hiatus and it's fascinating, honest and funny. I guess I'm finding it particularly good because I'm currently trying to work out how to get back into live performance myself... although, in my case I don't think I ought to do another big story-telling show and I don't want to do straight stand-up either... but I think anyone with even a passing interest in comedy will find the book a fascinating insight into the paranoid mindset that I think many performers share.

If you're in or around Bethnal Green, visit Gallery 320 and take in Sean Pines' exhibition of fashion photography. The gallery can be hard to find, mind. According to that link it's on Bethnal Green Road... but the entrance is in Voss Street.

Listen to Television's People by Misty's Big Adventure. They're fab. The album's fab too.

5 comments:

Margaret Yescombe said...

Hey,

I went to Sean's private view on Thursday, and blogged about it too... www.margaretyescombe.blogspot.com

Kind Regards



Margaret Yescombe

Youmademe Miss said...

Love this Misty's Big Adventure video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taDE1_jlz-s&feature=related

Jamie Woods '77 said...

"I'm currently trying to work out how to get back into live performance myself"
Really?
Wow! That's fantastic news.

Ali Taylor said...

I like that photographer. The picture he took of Maria at Pelliccis with the violin case is my favorite. I was going to buy one from the shop next door a while ago but she was outraged "Fifty pound for a photo of me! That's mad."

Anonymous said...

Am listening to 'Television's People' on their Myspace page now, thanks for drawing my attention to it. Very good. I'll buy it shortly, after all I have bought (and enjoy) all of their other albums on your recommendation! Funny how a lot of the tracks are quite "samey" but yet individual and lovely too. Hmmm.

http://www.myspace.com/mistysbigadventure