Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Absolutely July 1st

So the two songs I brought in from home were Long Straight Lines by Matthew P:


I think it's ace. And regular listeners will have got used to me giving that kind of track a bit of a push because it's very much the kind of thing I like and listen to a lot at home.

My other selection this week was a bit more of a departure. It's not the kind of thing I usually listen to... but it's got under my skin and I think it's utterly beautiful. It's Broadcaster, featuring Peggy Seeger. I love Peggy Seeger.

I love the life she's lived and continues to live. The song - The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face - was written for her by Ewan MacColl when she was 21. It's been covered by so many people since then (I love the Johnny Cash version, Roberta Flak's is probably the best known, Elvis sang it... the list goes on and on) but here Peggy Seeger sings it again, now in her seventies and in a completely new style.


It was another busy show, with a return to the Birthday Quiz feature as well as our regular bits, Found Poetry, Ward's Weekly Word and Michael Legge Is Angry.

A couple of people got in touch after the Found Poetry to say, "you should do a small book of those." Um... I have!

You can get the podcast and/or subscribe for free here.

No comments: