Friday, November 20, 2009

Internet

You know how sometimes you're at a party and it's okay but not great and you decide to leave. And then the next day, everyone says, "Oh! You should have stayed! It ended up being Amazing!"

And you regret leaving the party. And the next time you're at a party and it's okay but not great you don't want to leave because you don't want to miss the bit when it suddenly kicks off and becomes amazing.

Well that's what it's like trying to work knowing the internet is just there. The internet isn't thrilling me right now. I know I have some work to do. But I worry about what I'm going to miss if I start ignoring it.

So can you all turn your internet off during office hours? That'd be great. Stop enjoying it at least. Some of us have work to do.

10 comments:

maddie said...

It's like peeking in the fridge to look at the cheesecake you made for later in the evening. Or not being able to take your eyes off your first-born, minutes after having him. Actually, I am seriously thinking of having an internet-free laptop, just to get on with writing without interruptions. I know just how you feel.

Blackout said...

To be fair, Maddie, not being able to take your eyes of your first-born child sounds entirely understandable for many reasons.

Me being unable to go twenty minutes without checking TwitBook, on the other hand... is not :P

wee folding bike said...

Gudio Fox has gone cold turkey because his Blackberry has broken.

http://order-order.com/2009/11/20/going-cold-blackberry/

Unknown said...

I'm having a very bad time reading your blog!

Anything else i can do for you?

Clare Griffiths said...

Our internet time is limited to an hour a day at work, and many sites (facebook, twitter etc) are blocked altogether. But it's so slow anyway that I never bother. The iPhone sitting on my desk is faster over 3G, and probably Edge.

So I don't mind being internet-free at work.

Emma Spreadbury said...

The internet is just full of other people's thoughts. And if you're trying to be creative, other people's thoughts are infectious.

Unplug the router. Hide the power cable with the christmas decorations. Get it back again in 10 days' time.

Unknown said...

Sounds like the beginnings of Googlewhack... I'd put a filter on email from Australians if I were you.

Evy said...

ignore the internet, blink and I might miss something :P Cant live without Facespace and mybook.... lol

Paul said...

How long could people last without any internet and/or email? How would it affect your life and on what level?

Baz said...

the internet isn't interesting you... what???? are you mad??? how!!!.. it's kicking off!!! now!!!