Thursday, September 17, 2009

Day 18 -> Kendal

Another lovely, easy ride today... just 35 miles and not very hilly and with plenty of tea stops...


Here I am at the starting line with my Human Sat Nav, Kirstie...


... who took me out of Lancaster to the coast at Morecambe and along the prom...


After a couple of cafe visits we made our way to Kirstie's for some lovely pasta and to pick up more Human Sat Navs in the form of Kirstie's husband and three kids... and a change of bike.


Yup, that's Kirstie's husband Stuart cycling at the helm of a tandem-plus-tag-along and Kirstie cycling at the helm of a reguar tandem. The five of them plus me makes for the biggest convoy I've been a part of on the tour and they definitely turn a few heads.

I'm really enjoying the way each day's ride is shaped by the nature of my guide as much as it is by the landscape. Some people want to mooch around and sup tea and somehow get the ride done in between time. While others just want to get me there as quickly and safely as posssible. Of

Anyway... there was more tea to drink but here we are at the finishing line in Kendal...

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

great show tonight in Kendal...so clever, and I love that the two missions you are on are developing in their own way

Thanks

:O)

Elizabeth... said...

I've been following this with great anticiptation as I will be at the show on Friday and it looks like your journey has been great so far. Best of luck with the next section! :)

Colin said...

Wow that tandam+tag-along Stuart is riding is amazing!

Patricia Kooyman said...

I'm really enjoying your updates; having cycled to Paris from The Hague in NL as our summer holidays in Aug. Only we did 50 - 80 KM not Miles a day which was plenty for us.

One thing I noticed: it never seems to rain in the UK? Or do you only takes pictures when it is not raining?

Take care & keep up the good work!

Andrew said...

I think Dave has previously mentioned that he's been ridiculously lucky with the weather.

I can't vouch for the rest of the country, but here in South Wales it seems like we're having the longest dry spell of weather we've had all year (summer was a washout!)

Really enjoying the blogs, Dave. Keep on pedaling!

Col said...

Did you manage to sort that venue in Ardlui, Dave? You'll be there soon!

campdave said...

Dave, disappointed you didn't do the obligatory Eric Morecambe pose as you stood beside him!

Dave Gorman said...

@Patricia: I have been remarkably lucky with the weather. I've had drizzle at the start, one day of getting absolutely drenched and the rest have been lovely. I'd take a few days of rain in return for the clear day and tailwind that helped me over Dartmoor... but so far I haven't had to.

Kitty said...

Thank you for the photo of you and Eric. I love it!

Anonymous said...

Hey sorry, this may be a bit random but figured this would be the easiest way to get in contact but in my random surfing of the internet I came across "GoogleMe" an apparent movie documentary link at the bottom if you want more information the links at the bottom. Now I think you a very talented comedian and loved you when you presented your "Are You Dave Gorman" series now this movie seems to be very familiar to your work and look like there just ripping you off I didn't think this fare on your hard work and do hope that they aren't just stealing you intellectual property so I though I'd inform you so you can get your men in black suits to check it out

cheers and all the best

a concerned fan

www.googlemethemovie.com

Anonymous said...

Great gig at the Brewery on Wednesday night Dave, and such energy for someone cycling to each venue! That was my partner who said you look like Christian Bale - can't see it myself!

Hope you enjoyed the ride to Threlkeld, did you go over Dunmail Raise? Even my car struggles with that!

Good luck with the rest of the tour,
Martin, Kendal.

Anonymous said...

Love the whole idea of cycling to each venue. Great blog, great read