Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The First Three Days

Picture 1: The day before my journey began someone on Twitter asked me if I was going to have a big send off or not. I replied to say that I could see no way in which watching a 38 year old man cycle uphill could be turned into a 'big send off'. It didn't stop these four lovely souls coming out to wave me off on day 1.





Picture 2: James and Richard: my two Human Sat Navs for Day 1, shortly before setting off from Lizard Point in the wind and drizzle.










Picture 3: We were joined by their friends, Tom and Pete.











Picture 4: But Tom and Pete peeled off before the end so at the finishing line - Grampound Village Hall - it was just me Richard and James once more.











Picture 5: Grampound Village Hall became the starting line for Day 2 with my Human Sat Nav, Ivan...









Picture 6: Who took me all the way through Liskeard and out to Upton Cross and the magnificent Sterts Theatre - the finishing line for Day 2.










Picture 7: Day 3 and my Human Sat Nav was Richard. This is us about to set off from Liskeard...







Picture 8: This was the hardest day's riding so far with Richard guiding me to Tavistock and up on to ...Dartmoor. It's quite a climb...











Picture 9: A curious Dartmoor resident...









Picture 10: And here we are at the finishing line for Day 3; The Northcott Theatre, Exeter. I think someone's having a laugh by trying to arrange shows in the highest venues in every town...

8 comments:

40kaddict said...

What wonderful pictures. As much as this was a cycling trip that turned into a tour, somehow you've managed to directly connect it people.

So really Dave Gorman as the man who does silly stunts is far from being correct. You're the man who connects with people, wonderful.

Neil said...

Brilliant show last night at Exeter, thanks!

Great to see photos, I know it must be hard to find time and energy to keep this blog updated, but it is really good to see and hear what you have been up on this tour!

Tamsin said...

Saw your show in Exeter last night; my sides ached from laughing so much! Thank you! Good luck with the rest of the tour.

Anonymous said...

Not only are these pictures a lovely record of the tour, but a veritable parade of cycling fashion.

Keep up the good work- just got my tickets for Liverpool next year. Am already looking forward to it!

Emma said...

That's a fantastically jaunty pose you're striking in picture six there Dave!

Looking forward to seeing the show and keeping up with the journey on t'blog. With regards to hills, might it have been easier to go from north to south? It does seem all down hill from Scotland to England.

Good luck :)

Unknown said...

Am sitting here 9 miles away from Taunton. It's been bucketing down all afternoon. You must've had a hell of a ride over the Blackdown Hills today. Make sure you dry properly or you'll get chafing!

Looking forward to tonight's show!

AnitaB said...

Hope you're cycling up to Cumbria Dave. Looking forward to seeing you at Threlkeld. Slightly more hilly than the Fens....
love Anita & Lorna :) :)

Andy Blundell said...

Absolutely gutted i missed your show at the Northcott, saw you there what seems like an age ago when you did your googlewhack adventure show and i think i was the only person who came to see you afterwards to get a book signed. I asked a rather trivial question about Anne Robinson editing out your funny comments on The Weakest Link.

Hope to see you in Plymouth next march depending on where work takes me.

Andy