Thursday, August 16, 2007

Photoboasting


Wheel, originally uploaded by Dave Gorman.

With apologies for what promises to be a dull and self-serving post...

Here's the thing... the photo you see here has apparently been selected as one of twenty pictures (from eighteen different photographers) to be exhibited at the National Media Museum in Bradford this autumn.

It's part of an exhibition called Britain in Pictures which is connected to a BBC project of the same name. I'm slightly confused because, while I submitted a few photos to the project, I didn't realise that this exhibition malarkey was a possible consequence. I know that sounds disingenuous but I really didn't.

The thing is, I like photography. I also like the photography website, flickr and I have an account there. Flickr contains groups for all sorts of different interests, themes, styles of photography and so on.

I read about a group for photos of British buildings and seeing as I have a fair few of those and it only takes a few clicks of the mouse to join, I did so and submitted a few photos. I knew it was connected to some BBC4 photography project but I obviously didn't read the small print or I'd have known about this exhibition. But I didn't. Until I received an e-mail telling me that the judges had selected their favourite twenty photos and that this one was amongst them.

I'm told that when the exhibition has finished they'll send me the framed photo. Which is nice.

I'm not sure when the exhibition starts but you can see all twenty photographs on the BBC website here.

Here ends the photoboasting. I told you it was dull.

15 comments:

Ben Paddon said...

Well certainly, if nothing else, congratulations are in order. It's a nice photo, too - it looks vaguely scifi as well, so it gets my personal thumbs up.

Stuart Bell said...

What a fantastic photo -- thoroughly well deserved. Personally my favourites are your photo, the Liverpool Street image, and that of Brighton Pier. Good luck!

Lots of the entries seem to be high dynamic range / tone mapped images -- it's an intriguing effect, but is in danger of being overused...

Ben said...

Congratulations, Dave. It's definitelu an excellent shot, and deserves to be seen.

I wish I'd know about this competition, as I'd loved to have entered. I guess I need to keep my eyes open a bit more...

-Ben

Anonymous said...

I love it. If I didn't know better I'd think it was an fx shot of some kind of space station with suspended-animation pods hanging off of it. Which one is Sigourney Weaver in, and is there room for me?

Anonymous said...

I hope you don't mind, but I've had this photo as my desktop background for a few months now - nice to see I have artistic tastes!

Well done.

Anonymous said...

Well done Dave. Are you pleased?

Anonymous said...

Don't sound so apologetic - it's a great photo!

Graham the Funky Aardvark said...

A great shot - Dave Gorman, a artist in many senses :)

SMARTBuddy said...

Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Well done. It looks great. Rather like the cover of some sort of epic novel. :)

Flick xx

Anonymous said...

I entered that! I can't remember what I submitted but I'm pretty sure it was rubbish! I should have gone with the deer in bushy park!

Congrats.

Stewart Paske said...

That's a pretty awesome image. Took me a moment to suss out how you managed the shot. Nice angle.

Unknown said...

Congratulations, you have a good eye and deserve to be recognized; don't be bashful!

Anonymous said...

You call that boasting, it's pathetic man! give it some welly now, lets see real grandiosity worthy of the title!

Keifer

Anonymous said...

Since I live in Bradford I shall certainly make the effort to get to this exhibition. Who knows, I may even persuade my illustrious brother up here to see it...